What is storytelling and how to write in this genre?
Storytelling has been a major trend in advertising for the past few years. If you want your texts to have good feedback, learn how to tell a story.
- What is storytelling
- How to write in the storytelling genre
- What goes into a classic story scenario
- Rules of storytelling
What is storytelling
Storytelling has a special place in copywriting. And that's not just because, nowadays, storytelling is a must-have skill for a copywriter.
Storytelling is the art of communicating information through stories. The term was first mentioned in 1992 in a collection of work manuals from a ceiling tile manufacturer. However, the history of storytelling began along with the history of mankind. A classic example is fairy tales. Even distant ancestors understood that information is better absorbed if it is presented in the form of an interesting story.
Storytelling moved into the field of marketing rather quickly. It turned out that the best way to sell a product is to tell an interesting and emotional story about it. So the scope of the use of storytelling expanded greatly. This became the starting point for the development of storytelling as a marketing tool.
How to write in the storytelling genre
The techniques of storytelling remain the same. There is a classic scheme of action for writing interesting stories:
- Formulate an idea. This is a succinct idea that should be put down in the minds of listeners. For example, through storytelling in advertising can show what embarrassing situations people find themselves in when they do not use the promoted product. The main idea is "buy our product and everything will go smoothly for you".
- Identify the target audience. It is important to understand who the story is being created for. They have certain parameters: needs, pains, desires and dreams. This is what you need to focus on when creating a story.
- Describe the characters. They can be people, animals, fictional creatures, or even inanimate objects. A good character cannot be perfect. It has both strengths and weaknesses.
- Determine the motivation of the characters. Experienced authors write that characters should have a purpose, a treasure, and a flaw.
- Think about structure. A good story has a beginning, a conflict, a climax, and a denouement.
The story doesn't have to be uplifting and embody the "American dream. It's all about evoking emotion.
What goes into a classic story scenario
There are storytelling techniques that have been proven over the years. They are used both by beginners and experienced authors:
- Defeating the dragon. A standard story about overcoming a global problem.
- From dirt to riches. Unexpected good fortune raises the hero to the top, but at the same time turns out to be a test for him.
- The climax. The problems accumulate like a snowball, and there comes a turning point when the hero decides to take action.
- Rebirth. A strong change in the hero spiritually, emotionally, or physically.
These techniques will work for any placement site.
Rules of storytelling
It would seem that writing stories is a simple thing. However, even here you need to stick to certain rules:
- The story should evoke an emotional response.
- One story, one idea. You don't want to spill over into multiple meanings.
- The story needs to create tension and unexpected twists and turns.
- It is important to show characters that the target audience would like to associate themselves with.
- Sincerity comes first.
Examples of storytelling can be found literally everywhere - billboards, publications in social networks, articles, public speeches, videos. From this we can conclude: stories were, are and will be, but most importantly, they work.
And the ReText.Ai platform for working with texts will help you in writing stories. You can upload your text there, and the artificial intelligence will make it dynamic and colorful. To do this, you need to use the "transform" function. And if you need to change the volume of your text, use the "summarize" and "expand" functions.