How to write a diploma: requirements in 2023 and a sample
How to write a thesis yourself in 2023 according to GOST. The Retext blog will tell you how to make an online diploma in 1-3 days. Download a sample, an example of a diploma.
- How to write the introduction to the diploma
- How to write the main part of the diploma
- How to prepare the conclusion of the thesis
- How to write a reference list of a diploma
- Principle of the Review, Abstract, Explanatory Memorandum to the Diploma
- Creating a presentation for your thesis
- Writing a report and speech for your thesis
In case you want to pass your thesis quickly and start your professional career, you not only need to find all the necessary information for the thesis, but also know how to design it correctly. In this article, you will learn all the requirements for the thesis 2023 and will be able to design it in accordance with GOST.
What is a thesis
In the process of writing, every student has asked themselves the question of what a thesis is.
At present, the term "diploma" is practically out of the vocabulary of young people. The most common name used today is the VKR or graduate qualification work.
All of these terms mean the same thing, even though they have different names. Let's examine what they are.
A thesis is a study of a particular problem that a student conducts in order to address and solve a scientific problem. At the defense, the student must demonstrate his/her competence in front of the certification committee. If the student defends the thesis, he or she receives a grade and a bachelor's degree.
Our tips will help you write your diploma on your own, without resorting to the help of others.
What a thesis consists of
According to GOST, the structure of the diploma in 2023 should consist of the following main elements:
- Title page
- Individual assignment
- Reviewed by
- List of abbreviations and symbols
- Main part
- List of Sources and References
- Digital media with an electronic copy
Structure of the diploma
When preparing for the thesis, be sure to meet a number of requirements that are spelled out in the state standard. It happens that the institution may make some changes. In most cases they are insignificant. Quality structure can improve the quality and simplify the process itself.
The scope of the diploma
The average length of an undergraduate diploma is 65-70 pages. These pages will be enough to fully disclose the topic. But, of course, there are exceptions. If a student has taken a rather complicated topic, the volume can be increased.
We do not recommend writing less than 60 pages: the committee may lower the grade for insufficient material in the student's research paper. It will look as if the student could not fully disclose the topic.
Thesis formatting according to GOST 2023
GOST determines the following mandatory requirements for the design of the thesis:
- No double-sided printing is allowed. The text must be on one side only;
- The interval between paragraphs and lines is 1.5 cm;
- Times New Roman 14 point font, no emphasis. Bold font is allowed for headings;
- Text alignment by width;
- Margins: upper and lower - 20 mm, left - 30 mm, right - 10 mm;
- Numbering must be on each sheet. Only Arabic numerals are used;
- The pages are counted from the title page, but the numbering is put from the introduction;
How to define the goals and objectives of the diploma
What goals and objectives can I set for my thesis? The first thing to remember is that the goal is what the student seeks to solve in the research. What can be the goal?
- This could be a study or analysis of the subject.
- Finding the problem.
- Activities to create and implement activities aimed at solving the problem.
You should use nouns (analyze, investigate, study, and isolate) to define the purpose. Don't forget to mention in the conclusion the research goal achieved.
The objectives of the diploma are research and analysis on the way to achieving the goal. They must be both theoretical and practical.
These tasks should be articulated in the chapters. These are the necessary actions you will take to study and solve the problem.
Given that the volume is quite large, the optimal number of tasks for the thesis is from 3 to 6. However, verbs are used for the tasks.
- summarize and systematize,
- find and identify,
- develop an idea.
To make it easier for you to understand, here's an example:
The purpose of this paper is to develop a promotion strategy that would solve existing problems.
This goal defines the main objectives of the study:
1) Analyze the theoretical foundations of competitive strategies for the restaurant business;
2) Identify the main methods of competition, marketing models to describe competitive markets and break down competitive strategies in marketing;
3) to study the consumers of the restaurant "Bochkari";
4) to analyze the activities of the restaurant "Bochkari";
5) Identify the strengths and weaknesses of the company, as well as opportunities and threats to its activities;
What does the title page of the thesis look like?
According to GOST, the first page, which is the face of the ICR must be made in accordance with all requirements of the standards. In addition, take into account all the amendments that are made to the design of the title page. Now we will look at a sample title page according to GOST 2023. We will look at a sample of the title page of the ICR, and you can also download a sample.
Instructions for the title page of the thesis:
- First, fill in the "header" of the title page. Write on the top of the page from the first line: "THE MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND HIGHER EDUCATION OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION". Alignment in the middle.
- The line below is "FEDERAL STATE BUDGETARY EDUCATION INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION".
- On the next line is the full name of your university.
- Next, enter the name of your department.
- On the next line is the name of the department.
- With one line indented, write the subject. Align in the middle. Write the title in capital letters.
- Under the topic you should write: "graduate qualification work".
- Indent again 1-2 lines and write: "Completed by the student of _ course _ group name". Alignment is on the right side of the document.
- Align the text to the right and enter your information after the word "Done...".
- Next, make room for your signature.
- Under your signature, write the full name of your thesis advisor and his or her degree. Also leave a space for your signature.
- At the very bottom of the document in the middle, write the city and year of your thesis.
After the information about the student and the instructor, write the line "The graduation thesis is defended:...".
On the bottom line on the left edge will be the information about the head of the department, and on the right edge - the supervisor.
This is what the full instruction for the title page of the thesis looks like. But even if you follow all the points, you can make gross mistakes. So use this template for the title page. You only need to change the information for yourself.
Contents of the diploma
As a rule, the table of contents is the structure of the diploma. Here should be listed all the items of the main part: chapters, subchapters and paragraphs with the indication of pages. In addition, the content should reflect the main provisions: the introduction, conclusion, appendices and reference list.
How to write the introduction to the diploma
Most people believe that in the introduction you can write your thoughts as in the essay and lead smoothly to the main point. Never use this advice! This is where the supervisor and committee members start to get acquainted with the thesis. That is why it is very important that the thesis is done qualitatively.
The introduction should make it clear what the research is for and what problems it addresses. And also what ways of solving these problems you plan to use. It is on this part that the theoretical and practical relevance will be evaluated. You can see an example of such an introduction below.
With all the peculiarities of the school, the structure of the introduction will always be the same.
There will always be in this part:
- objectives and goals;
- familiarization with the object and subject of the study;
- description of the methodological foundations of the study;
- a characteristic of the scientific and practical activities that have been performed;
- the main hypothesis of scientific research.
First, you need to find an example of an introduction in a methodology book or ask your supervisor about the acceptable volume for him. If he does not show interest in the proposals, then you should stick to the standard norms:
- As a rule, the standard length of the introduction should be 2-4 pages.
- The maximum length of the text is 5 pages.
On this page, you should briefly and to the point describe the main aspects. Here we give youan example (sample) of a diploma introduction, so that you can understand how it should ideally look like.
How to write the main part of the diploma
The main part should be divided into 2-3 chapters. One of which will contain only theoretical material.
Traditionally, the first theoretical section should be 15-20 pages long. On these pages, the student reveals the main methodological guidelines of the project (thesis techniques), previously mentioned in the introduction. The theoretical chapter can be compared to a literary review, which presents a multidimensional analysis of the problem, based on theory. No thesis can do without it. Without the analysis, as a rule, there is no way around it. The main task of students is to carry out the most complete characterization of the state of the problem under study and compare different scientific points of view, to determine the approaches to the study of the next problem.
The scientific chapter of the thesis may contain a history of the problem, a comparison of the judgments of various scientific schools about it, an analysis of the degree of study of the question posed.
The result of the first chapter is a description of one's views on the problem under study, as well as an indication of ways to solve the problem. All these statements should be substantiated, argued and confirmed by logically correct theoretical deductions from domestic or foreign sources of literature.
The scope of the first chapter should roughly correspond to the second and third chapters. For the most part, it is a private methodological approach to this chapter. To increase the uniqueness of the text you can use a neural network to rewrite the text.
The second chapter is of practical value. But it also serves as a continuation of the student's reasoning, along with the first chapter. More often than not, this chapter is a description of the company that was taken for the study. This section, which is called the project section, contains accurate data analysis, statistics, and small recommendations.
While working on this chapter, the student needs to demonstrate the knowledge he or she has gained throughout his or her time at the institution.
The third chapter should contain a detailed analysis of the results obtained during the practice or analysis of the enterprise. Here the student should propose ways to solve the problem indicated in the introduction. Suggest a method and write a detailed and logical plan.
About how to bypass anti-plagiarism and increase the originality of the text read the blog.
How to prepare the conclusion of the thesis
Students have different attitudes toward writing a conclusion. Many think that this part makes no sense. Other people spend a lot of time figuring out what to add to it.
A good conclusion is a difficult task. It should reflect your own conclusions, not phrases from a textbook, charts and diagrams with calculations in the text. The thesis conclusion is a comprehensive and logical expression of your thoughts, a conclusion.
The conclusion can be easily and simply written in the service ReText.AI. To do this, you need to select a suitable conclusion and paraphrase it.
Here's a structure to help you figure out how to properly describe your findings and conclusions:
- Introductory part. You need to talk about what the study is about. Say a few words about what the research was about.
- Main part. It contains the conclusions obtained during the study and the results of the study. All theoretical and practical conclusions are described in detail. It is necessary to give answers to all the tasks that were written in the introduction. Express your thoughts should be consistent and logical in the text. Do not forget to tell at the end of the main part that the goal was achieved, the problem was solved and the hypothesis was confirmed.
- Concluding part. Here it is necessary to reflect the practical importance and briefly describe the recommendations that are proposed to solve the identified problems. Point out the possibility of implementing these recommendations in practice. A brief analysis of the results and ways of their practical use is useful here.
How to write a reference list of a diploma
Most students find it difficult to properly format the reference list. We have information to help you do this.
So, the first thing to remember at the beginning: the bibliography is listed in the order of importance of materials. It should look like this:
- regulatory documents;
- a set of teaching aids in alphabetical order.
- books in a foreign language;
- Internet sources.
General requirements for a list of references:
- All sources of literature should be in literary order;
- All authors of the literary source must be listed;
- The last name is written first, followed by the initials.
- Each section begins with the title of the sources in the native language and then in the foreign language;
- No grammatical errors or typos are allowed in the design of the reference list.
How to write a diploma
So, we've taken apart all the main sections that make up a diploma. Now let's talk a little bit about what to do in the beginning.
At the very beginning, when you have already chosen the supervisor and the topic of the thesis, you need to write a plan.
The plan addresses the following objectives:
- Reveals the theme;
- Identify for yourself the relevance of the topic;
- Select sources of literature;
- To ponder logically and think about the thought process;
- Make a detailed conclusion that you get from the study;
- Think about the application part (tables, charts, analytical data).
Additional documents for graduation in 2023
In the 21st century, it is necessary to have a thesis not only in hard copy, but also digitally in electronic form. In addition, it is required to prepare a review, an abstract, and an explanatory memorandum. The student also needs to prepare a presentation for the presentation and report.
Principle of the Review, Abstract, Explanatory Memorandum to the Diploma
What is an abstract? An abstract is a summary of your thesis. It is 2-4 paragraphs long.
In fact, the abstract is not a separate document. It cannot be used separately from the diploma, so it is attached to the work before it is stitched.
This section is a kind of reflection of the issues that are addressed in each chapter. When reading the abstract, the reader should clearly understand what is being discussed.
A review is a brief analysis of your thesis that describes its relevance and features, as well as its advantages and disadvantages. The critique in the review assesses your research as well as your knowledge and skills. First of all, it should be positive and, at the same time, objective. In this case, the members of the committee should believe that it was written by a person who has nothing to do with you or your supervisor. The reviewer writes the review.
An explanatory note is attached to the diploma. This is a document that contains all the data about the conducted research. The statement of the essence of the thesis is first submitted to the supervisor, reviewer and head of department at the beginning of the work for the publication of materials in the public domain.
Creating a presentation for your thesis
The presentation must be presented at the defense. There are a number of generally accepted rules of presentation:
- The average number of slides is 15. Try to stick to this amount, because a smaller number will not be able to fully express the necessary information, and a larger number will turn your presentation into a tedious one.
- The first and the last slide must be the same. They should contain: The name of the student and the supervisor, the name of the institution, the topic, the name of the major, the year and the city. These are the title pages of the presentation.
- The background should be light and discreet. The text should be readable. The font size should be at least 28. Titles are in bold, font size - not less than 36.
- The presentation should be free of errors and typos. Therefore, check the text carefully.
Writing a report and speech for your thesis
The structure of the speech for the defense of the diploma is as follows:
- The beginning includes an address to the committee members, discussion of the topic, its relevance. In your speech it is necessary to reflect the goals, objectives, subject and object of research. You can begin with the phrase: "Dear chairman and members of the State Attestation Commission! Here is the work itself, which is devoted to the topic...".
- The basic material contains information about the structure and main parts. It is accepted that the beginning may be as follows: "This paper has a traditional structure and includes: introduction, three chapters of the main part with conclusion, list of references, appendices. Therefore, special attention should be paid to the project activities and the research methods that the student used. Conclusions, analysis of the theoretical foundations and the ability to isolate the main thing from the flow of information - all this should be reflected in the main part of the presentation.
- The conclusion contains the main conclusions, the results of the work carried out and the practical (applied) usefulness of this study. At this point, thank the audience and tell them thank you for their attention to the report.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let me conclude by answering the most frequently asked questions of students.
- How long does it take a student to write a diploma?
It all depends on the student. If a person is responsible, he will be able to write a thesis in 1 month. Of course, conducting research is not a quick thing. But you can reduce the hours of your work at times, if you use the service ReText.AI. There you will be able to use automatic rewriting and create a unique thesis in 3 days.
- Is it possible to write a diploma in 3 days?
Yes, I already answered that question above. You can write a diploma in 3 days if you use ReText.AI. There you can also check your text for anti-plagiarism. In addition, you can choose any version of the proposal you like from the drop-down list. This makes your work very easy and saves time. Moreover, you can read on the blog how to write a diploma in 1 day. Yes, it is possible.
- What is the minimum volume that a diploma must have?
The diploma is 3 times larger than the abstract and 2-2.5 times larger than the term paper (although the difference between the diploma and the term paper is not limited). The standard volume of the diploma is 60-70 sheets. The minimum is 50 sheets. Overage, which will not cause many questions - 80 sheets.
Methodical materials for decorating the thesis according to GOST
Now you know all the requirements for writing a thesis according to GOST. Don't forget to download the design samples. Write a diploma in 3 days you can in ReText.AI